Missions Inc. is a nonprofit organization with a proud history of more than a century of service. We are located at three sites in Plymouth and St. Paul, MN, providing chemical health, domestic violence and long-term care services through seven programs, serving over 3,000 people each year.
Our main campus is located on the north shore of Medicine Lake in Plymouth, MN, offering a natural environment in which to pause, heal and gain strength for a new beginning.
We are supported through grants and contracts for service with local municipalities, counties, the state, and the federal government, and through the generous contributions of hundreds of businesses, churches, organizations, and individuals in our community.
Our staff of nearly 200 full-time and part-time employees provides services with respect and compassion, as advocates for the people we serve. We are assisted by several hundred volunteers, whose invaluable contributions range from a special one-day event for the children at our battered women shelter to working every day alongside staff providing essential services.
We are governed by a 15-member Board of Directors, whose wide range of expertise guides and supports the organization. Our management team provides leadership from a wealth of experience in our primary service areas.
Our residents are doing the hardest and most important work of all, bravely facing the challenges that lie ahead, taking control of their lives and finding hope in the future.
Missions Inc. Programs provides a collaborative community and safe space where people are empowered to heal and transform their lives.
Our vision is a world where every person realizes their worth and lives with dignity free from addiction and abuse.
Our values are:
- Affirm human worth
- Foster self-determination
- Value diversity
- Seek social justice
Meet The Staff
Programs & Facilities
Meet Our Board
Missions Inc. Programs was originally founded in 1895 as Union City Mission by a consortium of Minneapolis churches and business leaders. Its St. James Hotel and Mission in the Gateway district of downtown served as home for thousands of men who came to the city unemployed and homeless when their work in the Northwest ended each season.
In 1927, the organization expanded its services to include a working farm, known as Mission Farms, located on the north shore of Medicine Lake in Plymouth, Minnesota. The number of residents reached its peak during the years of the Great Depression, when so many were unemployed and homeless.
The first private chemical dependency treatment program in Minnesota was started by the organization in 1948, an outgrowth of the emerging Alcoholics Anonymous movement. During this time, Missions Inc. became a key participant in the development of the ‘Minnesota Model’ for chemical dependency treatment. In the 1960s Missions Inc. discontinued its operations in Minneapolis.
Other pioneering programs followed, including the state’s first skilled-care nursing facility for men in 1964, and the first detoxification center in 1978. In the early 1980s Missions Inc. initiated services for battered women and their children in Northwest Hennepin County, and in 2001, began the first transitional housing program for women in recovery in Ramsey County. Today, Missions Inc. continues to evolve to meet many of the most urgent, yet often unacknowledged, social service needs. Our commitment to serve those who are most in need—with compassion and respect, always affirming the dignity and worth of each person—has endured for more than a century.