Position: Women’s Advocate – Shelter
Program: Home Free
Location: Plymouth, MN
FTE: On Call
Deadline: Until Filled
Position Summary: Missions Inc. Programs is seeking applications for on call Women’s Advocates at its Home Free shelter for battered women and their children. Home Free is a 30-bed shelter, providing immediate safety, advocacy, support and information for women who have had to flee their homes due to domestic violence. Regularly operating at over 100% capacity, the program has 24-hour staffing, provides three meals daily, and operates a children’s program, including childcare.
Core Duties: Provide advocacy, crisis intervention, support, information, and access to resources appropriate to the needs of battered women; provide individual and class advocacy with social service, mental health, medical and criminal justice systems on behalf of abused women; facilitate cooperative living in the shelter, through house meetings, conflict resolution, and by modeling cooperative and supportive behavior, assist in ongoing development and maintenance of resource files, provide coverage for 24-hour crisis intervention, information and referral telephone service and business lines; provide transportation for residents; housekeeping; complete daily record-keeping, including resident files, telephone log, house count and service sheets; maintain confidentiality of all residents; coordinate departure plans and safety plans with residents leaving the shelter; work well with people from diverse racial, cultural, social and economic backgrounds and have awareness of culturally specific resources.
This position reports to the Program Director.
Experience & Qualifications:
- An understanding of and sensitivity to the unique problems encountered by women and children needing shelter and advocacy services;
- Knowledge of social service, welfare, mental health and criminal justice systems pertinent to the needs of abused women;
- The ability to respond to women and children in crisis with appropriate listening and intervention skills;
- Must be able to lift and/or carry up to 35 pounds; be able to bend, stoop, kneel and climb (ascend and descend) several flights of stairs;
- Valid Minnesota drivers license and an insurable driving record;
- Ability to work well with people from diverse racial, cultural, social and economic backgrounds.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Missions Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to hiring individuals without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, receipt of public assistance, familial status, membership or activity in a local commission, disability, age, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Send your resume and cover letter to HR@missionsinc.org