- Position: Women’s Advocate – Shelter
- Program: Home Free
- Location: Plymouth, MN
- Reports to : Program Director
FTE: Part time openings for 20 hours per week. On call staff also needed with availability for all shifts. We have an urgent need to fill overnight and weekend hours. (Shift include: 8:00am-4:00pm, 4:00pm-12:00am, and 12:00am-8:00am)
Deadline: Until Filled
Missions Inc. Programs provides a collaborative community and safe space where people are empowered to heal and transform their lives.
Our vision is a world where every person realizes their worth and lives with dignity free from addiction and violence.
Our values are to:
- Affirm human worth
- Foster self-determination
- Value diversity
- Seek social justice
Position Summary: Missions Inc. Programs is seeking applicants for part time and on-call Women’s Advocates at its Home Free shelter for battered women and their children. Home Free is a 30-bed shelter, providing immediate safety, advocacy, support and information for women who have had to flee their homes due to domestic violence. Regularly operating at over 100% capacity, the program has 24-hour staffing, provides three meals daily, and operates a children’s program, including childcare.
This position provides advocacy, crisis intervention, support, information, and access to resources appropriate to the needs of battered women; provide individual and class advocacy with social service, mental health, medical and criminal justice systems on behalf of abused women; facilitate cooperative living in the shelter, through house meetings, conflict resolution, and by modeling cooperative and supportive behavior, assist in ongoing development and maintenance of resource files, provide coverage for 24-hour crisis intervention, information and referral telephone service and business lines; provide transportation for residents; housekeeping; complete daily record-keeping, including resident files, telephone log, house count and service sheets; maintain confidentiality of all residents; coordinate departure plans and safety plans with residents leaving the shelter; work well with people from diverse racial, cultural, social and economic backgrounds and have awareness of culturally specific resources.
Experience & Qualifications:
- An understanding of and sensitivity to the unique problems encountered by women and children needing shelter and advocacy services;
- Knowledge of social service, welfare, mental health and criminal justice systems pertinent to the needs of abused women;
- The ability to respond to women and children in crisis with appropriate listening and intervention skills;
- Must be able to lift and/or carry up to 35 pounds; be able to bend, stoop, kneel and climb (ascend and descend) several flights of stairs;
- Valid Minnesota drivers license and an insurable driving record;
- Ability to work well with people from diverse racial, cultural, social and economic backgrounds.
Compensation: The hourly rate is $16.25 for on call positions and up to $16.84 for part time positions. We offer .40 cents differential pay for the overnight shift. Benefits for the part time position include a 4% employer contributed 403b retirement account (after 1,000 hours worked), life insurance, long-term and short-term disability, paid time off (PTO), and paid holidays.
Missions Inc. Programs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Send your resume and cover letter to HR@missionsinc.org